I haven’t made cupcakes in a while and decided it was time for more. Mangos were on sale so I thought Mango cupcakes would be perfect for the summer! My family was up this weekend for a wedding and camping so I thought it would be a perfect treat to test out on them!
I pinned a bunch of different recipes and then decided to mix a few together. I settled on a coconut cupcake with mango filling and cream-cheese mango frosting. So yummy!I took the cupcake recipe from The Kitchn and the filling and frosting from Peace. Love. & Yumminess.
Here are the conversions and recipe parts combined!
Coconut Milk Cupcakes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350°. Line standard sized muffin tins with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until batter is well combined.
Sift together the already sifted cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter alternately with the coconut milk until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated. Stir in coconut and vanilla extract.
Pour batter into cupcake liners no more than two-thirds of the way full. Bake for 25 – 28 minutes, until light golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 1/4 and 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup fresh mango puree
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1/8 c. mango puree
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. powdered sugar
To make the filling
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch and sugar.
- Add the mango puree, followed by the egg yolks.
- Continure to cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens (6-7 minutes), stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter one tablespoon at a time.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and top with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap into the top of the filling.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
To Make The Frosting
- In a large bowl combin cream cheese and butter until combined.
- Add in the mango puree and vanilla extract and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar gradually until it is as sweet and thick as you prefer.
To Assemble the Cupcakes:
- When cupcakes have cooled, cut a cone out of the top using a paring knife.
- Spoon the mango filling into the cupcake until just reaching the top.
- Remove the bottom of the cone you cut out of the cupcake, placing just the top back on the cupcake where you filled with the mango filling.
- Frost cupcakes how prefer.
- If wanted toast the left over coconut and sprinkle on top.